Fast and furious: NFE bets on Mexico for floating liquefaction concept push

Only Subscribers can read the full Article

In early July, US-based gas-to-power player New Fortress Energy (NFE) made the surprise announcement that it had sold the majority ownership of its entire LNG fleet to New York-headquartered asset manager Apollo. NFE said it would use the proceeds to support its range of projects in Mexico, including an ambitious plan to sell US shale gas through the Latin American country to the global LNG market.

By mid-August, NFE and Apollo had completed a USD 2 billion maritime joint venture, named Energos, which now owns and operates the 11-vessel fleet previously in the hands of NFE. It consists of six floating storage and regasification units (FSRUs), three floating storage units (FSUs) and two LNG carriers. Apollo owns 80% of the JV, while NFE holds the remaining 20%.

After accounting for its share of the new JV and paydown of existing debt, NFE said it would raise USD 1.1 billion from the sale. It agreed to charter ten of the JV’s vessels for a period of up to 20 years “commencing either upon close of the transaction or upon expiration of the vessels’ existing third-party charter agreements,” NFE said in a statement.

Subscription Benefits

Our three titles – LNG Business Review, Gas Matters and Gas Matters Today – tackle the biggest questions on global developments and major industry trends through a mixture of news, profiles and analysis.

LNG Business Review

LNG Business Review seeks to discover new truths about today’s LNG industry. It strives to widen market players’ scope of reference by actively engaging with events, offering new perspectives while challenging existing ones, and never shying away from being a platform for debate.

Gas Matters

Gas Matters digs deep into the stories of today, keeping the challenges of tomorrow in its sights. Weekly features and interviews, informed by unrivalled in-house expertise, offer a fresh perspective on events as well as thoughtful, intelligent analysis that dares to challenge the status quo.

Gas Matters Today

Gas Matters Today cuts through the bluster of online news and views to offer trustworthy, informed perspectives on major events shaping the gas and LNG industries. This daily news service provides unparalleled insight by drawing on the collective knowledge of in-house reporters, specialist contributors and extensive archive to go beyond the headlines, making it essential reading for gas industry professionals.

Did you know that your Internet Explorer Browser is out of date?

Your MS Internet Explorer browser is out of date, and will not be fully compatible with our website. For best browsing experience we recommend that you upgrade your IE browser to a more recent version or use an alternative, more recent browser.